An American in Prague

"Life is change...death is dwelling on the past, or staying in one place too long."

Thursday, May 04, 2006

A truly Czech weekend!

Spent last Friday in Melnik, a small town about 45 min. north of Prague where the Labe and Vltava Rivers converge. This prime location makes it excellent for wine production, the fruits of which we (of course) sampled. It was quite nice (had a budget meal and walked around the old town) but the weather totally blew, and we arrived to find both the wine cellars and chateau closed for the day.

On Saturday (yet another rainy, miserable day) I joined my friend Anne and her 2 Slovakian colleagues for a night at the cinema. Took in "The Constant Gardener," a British film for which the fabulous Rachel Weisz won an Oscar. It's certainly not a feel-good kinda flick. But the performances were stellar and the cinematography superb.

On Sunday, Anne and I went to a witch-burning festival just outside of Prague...we didn't last long, however, as it was FREEZING outside. So we made our way back to town and to a pub where we enjoyed glasses of bile vino and smazeny syr, a.k.a. "Heart Attack on a Bun," but SO delicious.

Monday was simply the perfect day...the weather warmed up just in time for May Day, the European equivalent of Labor Day. It also bears some similarity to the American Valentine's Day in that it's considered a "day of love," and men traditionally kiss their girlfriends/wives underneath flowering fruit trees to ensure good luck, love and fertility for the coming year. Although I personally cannot partake in this time-honored tradition, I did indulge my inner voyeur as we strolled through town. I spent the afternoon "garden-gazing" with my pals Mark and Megan. The entire city was in bloom, or so it seemed.

I can bypass zoos, but a well-manicured garden is not-to-be-missed in my book. I drove everyone in NYC crazy because of my affinity for the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, and it's quite the same here. We hit Petrin Hill where we partook of the sweet-smelling cherry blossoms, and then to the Wallenstein Garden (where the outdoor concert scenes in "Amadeus" were filmed) and then to the Royal Gardens at Prague Castle (which feature a "singing fountain" and loads of tulips, one of my favorites) and then over to Letna Park, where we grabbed a pivo.

Also, we had dinner at Cantina in Mala Strana...hands-down the BEST Mexican food I've had since I've been here. Granted, that's not saying much...

So I'm (hoping) to hit the scenic hills of Salzburg this weekend after all. I've been looking forward to it...albeit a little apprehensive as I'll be travelling entirely by myself. I don't get it...am I the only person who's ever dreamed of visiting Mozart's birthplace and channeling Julie Andrews on an Alpine hillside? (That's a rhetorical question, thank you...no comments from the peanut gallery are necessary). I've travelled alone before, of course, but I don't usually do much weekend-long sightseeing on my own so this will be something new. Libras ARE the partnership sign, after all :)

1 Comments:

Blogger peppermintlisa said...

i will forever associate you with the brooklyn botanical garden. :)

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home