An American in Prague

"Life is change...death is dwelling on the past, or staying in one place too long."

Monday, March 06, 2006

The verdict is in!

So, decades after the rest of the civilized world, I finally saw THE movie. When I say *THE* movie, of course I mean "Brokeback Mountain," which finally got its European release last week. Without access to my US Weekly subscription here, I missed much of the insane hype surrounding this film in the United States, so it was a pleasant surprise. Incidentally, the difficulty in accessing quality celebrity news here has made me start to lose my touch! Case in point: last year I held an Oscars' party -- this year I had no idea when the Oscars were even airing until this weekend! Last year I would've had my nose pressed against the screen.

Anyway, so back to "Brokeback." It was AMAZING -- the first gay-themed film that I've ever seen that wasn't too issue-driven or cliche-ridden for its own good. It didn't strive to be overly political -- in all honesty, the story would've been almost as compelling if it had depicted a heterosexual relationship. I haven't gotten so consumed with cinematic characters since the end of "Sex and the City" two years ago. Contrary to popular belief, I never cry at movies -- but I sobbed unashamedly during the final scene (which is especially surprising because the ending had been ruined repeatedly for me). Unfortunately, all movies can't end the same way as "When Harry Met Sally."

So I woke up to the news that my sad cowboy boyfriends didn't take home as many Oscars as had been initially predicted. What -- are Oscar voters not keen on seeing the cinematic quality of broad-shoulder men?? Some cry 'homophobia,' but I haven't heard anything but critical accolades otherwise.

Despite the fact that I worship at the altar of Sir Jake almost daily, I thought Heath Ledger was the more impressive of the two, and Michelle Williams was great! You really feel bad for her character even though your sympathies should be aligned with Ennis and Jack most of the time. That's not an easy task in a movie starring two of the sexiest men on the planet! I'm half tempted to move to Wyoming when I get back to the States so I can have great scenery and hot cowboys on my doorstep, ha ha :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home