An American in Prague

"Life is change...death is dwelling on the past, or staying in one place too long."

Monday, February 27, 2006

While it's a placid social sea, a tempest brews at work...

'Twas another weekend spent in fine Prague style! On Friday night, I hit the town for my friend Clayton's flatmate Yvonne's birthday party. We hit two interesting pubs. The first was called the Street Cafe in Vinohrady, which played the best party mix of tunes: think ABBA, Tom Jones, Donna Summer, Ray Charles and Jennifer Lopez. OK, I admit it, I don't care much for J-Lo, but I love dancing to her songs! I can't recall the name of the other one, but it had a "Saturday Night Fever" theme, albeit with a European twist (i.e. it was in the cellar of an 19th century building, the dance floor was about the size of your average backyard patio, and it was as smoke-filled as a scene out of "Backdraft") and it was in Nove Mesto.

On Saturday I went bowling with my friend Anne, her two Slovakian co-workers and two people who didn't speak any English. I lost by a landslide, but no matter: it was a good time and in all honesty, I scored a better figure than usual. Speaking of figures, we watched the Czech hockey team's final Olympic match on huge overhead screens.

So while the social life is floating on a placid sea, I've got a typhoon of professional changes to endure in the next couple of days. Lexis Language Agency just gave me a brand-new contract to start 12 (yes, twelve) new business English classes at a new location. Apparently, my four years of experience of working in a Manhattan financial office has convinved them that I'm the one for this particular job. I can't complain too much as the pay is pretty decent (read: decent as far as Czech currency is concerned; in the States, it'd still be peanuts) and I won't have to travel from office to office as I've been doing since November. This required them to give away three of my existing classes to new instructors. I'm only sad to see one of them go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home