An American in Prague

"Life is change...death is dwelling on the past, or staying in one place too long."

Sunday, February 12, 2006

OK, let's try again please


So it ain't 'Citizen Kane,' but how can one resist Mark & Jen?

So I had my interview at Skrivanek on Thursday, and I'm happy to say that it went very well! They hired me on the spot! So now I'll be splitting my time between Lexis Language Agency, Active Languages and Skrivanek School. I start two brand new classes this Monday morning! Also, a friend of mine passed my contact info onto the editor of the English language newspaper here in Prague, who claims that they are "desperate" for freelancers. As my teaching skills have progressed, I'm worried that my writing skills have been slipping. So hopefully something will pan out in this realm as well!

So it was a great weekend overall. On Friday night, my co-worker Clayton invited me over to his flat for a cocktail party. He has a spectacular flat overlooking the city with a working fireplace, no less. It was the perfect cure for the insanely cold weather we'd been having. There was Moravian wine, savory snacks and great '80s party music. Those close to me know that this combination is closest thing to paradise in Curtis-land! My friend Kymm was also there, as was Tereza, a friend of Beth's. A good time was had by all.

I met up with a new friend, Jose, on Saturday afternoon. He's a grad student from Madrid, living in Prague through June while doing some sort of research for a graduate thesis in political science. We enjoyed brunch at Radost, a vegetarian restaurant in town and one of the few places in the city that can actually serves decent Mexican cuisine. Brunch was followed by coffee at Cafe Erra. On Sunday, Kelly and I went to see "Rumor Has It." The film has been panned by the critics - and OK, it wasn't "Citizen Kane." But it definitely had a few things going for it in my book: it was helmed by Rob Reiner (who directed "When Harry Met Sally," one o of my all-time favorites) and starred Jennifer Aniston and Mark Ruffalo, who can do no wrong in my book.

Upon re-reading my last post (in addition to the concerned e-mails and messages I received from friends and family members following its appearance on my blog), I realized that, OK, I was being over-dramatic. Things aren't half bad: I'm in EUROPE, for Pete's sake, and I'm experiencing a new career venture that I certainly like a hell of a lot more than sitting behind a desk in a stuffy office all day. My friend Dave made a good point: there's no point in comparing oneself to others because everyone has different paths. OK, so I don't have the summer house in the Hamptons with the white picket fence, but I'm meeting lots of interesting people and living within walking distance of CENTURIES of history. I'm doing what I want to be doing and something that is both challenging and makes me happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home