An American in Prague

"Life is change...death is dwelling on the past, or staying in one place too long."

Tuesday, February 27, 2007


In 2007, I find myself in a very unusual position. So I actually can't say that I'm in any position to take any legitimate stance on this year's Academy Awards. I haven't seen most of the nominated films or performances, so there wasn't a particular film or actor that I was rooting for; I didn't view the ceremony (which actually airs on HBO here in Europe -- isn't that strange?) and I've had to rely on E! Online just to view the fashions.

However, I can offer a personal commentary on several films I've recently seen.

1. Saw Helen Mirren in The Queen. The movie was great and she was absolutely, absolutely knock-your-socks-off incredible -- she faithfully captured EVERY mannerism of the British matriarch.

2. Anyway, I know all of you were expecting the Curtis Michael Resident Musical Theatre Dork Wong to go see Dreamgirls in its opening weekend in Europe -- however, I opted against it. It wasn't like Chicago -- in which case I'd seen the Broadway revival, had loved it and was absolutely on the edge of my seat for the film version. In fact, I do own the original Broadway cast of Dreamgirls soundtrack -- and the CD has generally taken the place of an expensive drink coaster in my music collection --which is to say that I don't care for the soundtrack. Despite what I'd read, most of the people who'd actually seen it had given me mediocre-at-best reviews...so I opted out.

3. You all know my thoughts on The Devil Wears Prada (yes, I own the DVD) and Meryl Streep's fabulous performance. I'm happy to see her nominated...but really? I dunno...part of me thinks an actress like Meryl would've been able to phone in that performance.

4. Go see Little Children if you haven't already. I love, love, love me some Kate Winslet. OK, given that I can be a true cheeseball (at least I can admit it), I'll admit that I didn't notice her until Titanic -- however, in retrospect, I think that was one of her weaker performances. I've since loved her in every single movie I've ever seen her in, even if the movie itself wasn't stellar (note The Holiday and The Life of David Gale). Certainly her performances in movies that ARE actually stellar are even more astounding (note Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). Hopefully she gets her Oscar due in the future!!! She was the US Weekly2006 choice for the "Ultimate Libra Woman" (yes, Curtis admits he knew that) which only furthered her likability in my "Ultimate Libra" opinion.

So, given my admiration for all things Kate -- I opted for Little Children instead of Dreamgirls. A feel-good movie was not in the least what I was expecting from this, based on director Tom Field's prior film, the depressing In the Bedroom (starring another actress whose altar I worship at, the incredible Sissy Spacek). And I didn't expect to leave the cinema feeling the need to break into song. However, the movie is simply superb. In most domestic dramas, the characters drift through their worlds allowing things to happen to them without taking any responsibility for themselves. Kate, playing basically THE original desperate housewife, screws up, makes bad decisions, acts irrationally. But -- like Helen Mirren in The Queen -- she creates sympathy for (what is stereotypically) an unsympathetic character.

5. On a final note -- I shouldn't fail to mention that Kate's love interest Patrick Wilson is an absolute DREAMBOAT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home