An American in Prague

"Life is change...death is dwelling on the past, or staying in one place too long."

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Vesele vanoce a stastny novy rok!


Merry Christmas, dear readers! Or, as they say here in the grand city of Praha, vesele vanoce a stastny novy rok!

Here in the Czech Republic, there is no Santa Claus, there is Jezicek, or the Infant Jesus, who will visit thousands of homes across the country tonight to deliver presents to good children. I didn't bake any cookies, so I've debated leaving a plate of svickova (the official Bohemian dish of roast pork served with dumplings and cabbage) as well as a glass of svarak (mulled wine) out for my evening visitor...but it occured to me: what if He is still teething? Or, even worse, let's say He is keeping kosher these days. What am I to do?

Yesterday Jenn and I headed up to Dresden for "Christkindlmarkt-ing." No one does Christmas like the Germans, and Dresden is no exception! In bountiful supply: seelachsbrot, gluhwein (tried a special sauer kirsch variety that was amazing), rostbratwurst, stollen and lebkuchen. Treated myself to a few Christmas presents: two handmade ornaments! All in all, a great trip.

Either way, I'm gonna do my best not to go stir-crazy over the next couple of days. I'm having dinner/gift exchange tonight with Mellisa and Kelly and then tomorrow it's dinner at Jenn and Farrah's place, with my new roommate Scott. We've got the 26th off from work here as well -- it being "Saint Stephen's Day" or "Boxing Day," depending on who you ask. It must be the American workaholic side of me that wants to get back to work as soon as possible! And then on Friday, we leave for Berlin for New Year's Eve! I can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home