An American in Prague

"Life is change...death is dwelling on the past, or staying in one place too long."

Monday, October 23, 2006

Autumnal ease and consta-party!

As I was recently telling my flatmate Beth, I think I've watched too much HBO for my own good. After finishing several seasons of Q.A.F. and getting wrapped up in the over-dramatic goings-on of pretty TV characters, it occured to me: wow, at the moment, life is relatively calm. I mean, OK, so there's the usual credit card annoyances and what not, but at the moment there (fortunately) isn't any major drama brewing anywhere. Knock on wood, of course!

So the weather's already dropped significantly here...not too surprising as August was a really lackluster month weather-wise, but we enjoyed a few weeks' worth of Indian summer (or, as they say here, 'grandmother' summer). I've already gotten accustomed to wearing wool again. Sigh. The fall foliage is at its peak, though I can't say it compares to New England.

Saturday was Jennifer and Katja's joint birthday party near Namesti Miru. I prepped pasta salad (naturally) and headed to the party, which was fantastic. Lots of wine, lots of dancing and lots of interesting company. On Sunday, I met up with two new friends, Roman (from Ostrava) and Jason, who's here from Ohio. (It's funny how I seem to have accumulated a good number of friends from Ohio). We enjoyed mint coffee from Cafe Erra and an afternoon stroll through Petrin Park, the Prague Castle grounds and beyond. I capped off the evening with a glass of wine in Tynska and a delicious Thai curry meal with Farrah, Jennifer and Eva. As they say in Calvin and Hobbes, a Sunday evening is like the last meal before an execution. Thankfully for me, I was eating Thai!

So this coming Friday, we'll be celebrating Beth's 26th birthday, although the evening plan has yet to be finalized. On Saturday, Jules and Clayton are hosting their annual ex-pat Halloween party. I haven't selected a costume as of yet but I've got a few vague ideas floating around...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home