An American in Prague

"Life is change...death is dwelling on the past, or staying in one place too long."

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Observations, realizations and confessions

So I've just returned to Europe from my first trip back to the United States since my departure exactly a year ago. Time certainly flies when you're having fun, as cliche as it sounds. I spent the first four days of my return with friends in Manhattan and then headed up to Connecticut for, essentially, one family event after another. The week is a blur. I am, however, looking forward to getting back to work and routine...

As is usually the case in these situations, I didn't get to see everyone I'd hoped and planned to see...and I didn't really get adequate time to catch up with those friends and family members who I *did* have the fortunate opportunity to see. So, for those of you who I did visit, THANKS-A-MILLION for coming out! And, for those of you who I didn't get to see, I'm really sorry and YOU HAVE MY WORD that you'll be on my short list for the next visit!

So, in my semi-delirious jetlagged state, I began a thorough self-evaluation about the past year...I don't want to get all "pompous, condescending American ex-pat" on you, because there's nothing I hate more than pompous, condescending American ex-pats. I mean, really, we all know you've realized how big the world is, how you've found yourself, how liberal everyone is outside of the U.S.A., and how much you've changed for the better and all that. Personally, I like to think ALL life experiences, foreign and domestic, change people in some way...and not necessarily for the better!

Anyways, here's my list of observations, realizations and confessions:

1. You can take a boy out of capitalism, but you can't take capitalism out of the boy. Yes, I can shamelessly admit that I REALLY miss Target, Dunkin' Donuts, Barnes & Noble and discount shops in the vein of Century 21 and Burlington Coat Factory. Fortunately, I got my dose of all of these in the past week.

2. I also miss: hot sauce, Diet Dr. Pepper, fresh guacomole, free refills, free tap water at restaurants, drinks served with crushed ice...and of course HALLOWEEN! I'm hoping some American pal puts together a party like last year.

3. An observation: most Americans know NOTHING about Prague or the Czech Republic...I swear many relatives and friends think I'm living in a grass hut on the outskirts of Cambodia.

Among the questions people asked me this past week:

"So where is Prague exactly?"

"Wait...isn't that in Czechoslovakia? What's the Czech Republic?"

"Do people celebrate Christmas there?"

"Do people drive cars there?"

"Do they have Wal-Mart there?"

"How do you do your laundry there?"

"Do they speak German there?"

(The list goes on and on, but those are my favorites).

4. On the same note: most Americans know little-to-nothing about European history. Yes, I include myself in this category...although I feel like I've learned a bit since being here and it's becoming a passion of mine, I've still only scratched the surface. One friend wasn't sure if W.A. Mozart was living or dead. Yes, you read correctly.

5. Out of all of my various experiences in the past year, most friends and family seemed most interested in two things: how airport security for trans-Atlantic flights been increased since the London incident last month, and "The Sound of Music" tour. I certainly was willing to dish about the second part...yes, I made my Julie Andrews pilgrimage to Salzburg in early May. Yes, I paid 30 Euro for the official tour. Yes, I danced around the "Do-Re-Mi" fountain and under the ivy trellises; yes, I saw Leisl's "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" gazebo; yes, I spun around in a daisy-filled alpine field, screeching "The hills are ALIVE..." in a voice to wake the dead. Would you expect anything less from me?

6. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I realized that, yes, I definitely intend to return to the United States at some point. Although I absolutely love Prague and Europe, and I've had some fantastic experiences, I really do miss my friends and family!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home