An American in Prague

"Life is change...death is dwelling on the past, or staying in one place too long."

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Work -- and 20Something Prague (?)

So this blog is well overdue for an update, but I wanted to make sure I had news to report before I took the time to write something.

As of last week, I am now officially employed. I am working not one, not two, but three part-time jobs here in Prague! I work for: Active Languages, Lexis Language Agency and Ulyrch Language Studio. I'm starting up with 6 English classes this week. All are one-on-one, like private lessons. I am hoping I get some groups, though, since I prefer teaching small groups. Here in Prague, they have a lot of English language agencies where adults can get tutored in English and what not. I am teaching at 3 of the agencies and I have to travel out to different offices to teach employees of different companies. Most are at the upper-intermediate level, although I do have one pre-intermediate student.

Most of my classes will involve intricacies of the English language, such as refining grammar and new vocabulary and what not. They will hopefully give me more classes next week or later. But for now, I am content that this is a decent start. One of my students is a heart surgeon, so he wants to know a lot of English medical terminology. I'll be starting with him next Monday. To celebrate my gainful employment, I bought myself a new winter jacket finally :-)

For now, I have a good deal of downtime before I add more classes to my schedule; it's a bit nerve-wracking trying to figure out what the hell to do with myself. Now that I am working, it's become difficult to meet new people other than my Czech students. My TEFL group, most of which I hung out with for the past month, has kind of disbanded, with some of my classmates going to Asia and elsewhere in Europe. So I had this crazy idea to start a gay/lesbian/bisexual/questioning social club, a Prague version of 20Something in New York, if you will. Of course, it would be a lot more grassroots, a lot less structured than 20Something is, since I don't have the motivation to organize formal meetings with topics and the like - it'll be like, "Oh, you're gay/lesbian and an ex-pat, come out with us to Friends [a Czech gay pub not far from my school] tomorrow night!"

We'll see what happens. But I've decided I need to meet some people to obsess about "Confessions on a Dancefloor" with, and who might want to check out the "Sound of Music" tour in Salzburg with me sometime!

2 Comments:

Blogger Karla said...

I'm telling you, the Sound of Music tour was VERY disappointing!

1:39 PM  
Blogger peppermintlisa said...

congrats on your new job(s)!! that's cool that there's variety. and i think it's great that you want to start up a 20something-esque group. good luck.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home